Monday, August 24, 2009

Clearing the Air on Designer vs. Architect

We try to make it as clear as possible that we are legally “designers” and not yet licensed “architects.” Though the “design” that we focus on in this blog is architecture, we steer clear of the word as not to dip into any murky, technical legal waters. Although we are not yet licensed architects, Anna holds a Bachelor of Architecture (Master of Urban Design) and I hold a Master of Architecture.

Anna has completed 8 out of 9 exams towards licensure, while I am the beginning of the exam process. After Anna’s testing is complete and she receives her architecture license from the state of Washington, you will see a change in our website and in all of our public communication.

Becoming a licensed architect is a very important milestone in the eyes of the state, and will of course be a cause for celebration, but the spirit and day to day matters of our practice will not change. For me, it will be another stop, albeit an important stop, on the journey that began when I churned out my first floor plans on the back of my dad’s scrap sales reports at age 6. Although then I said, “When I grow up, I want to be an architect,” for now, “When I grow up, I want to be an intern architect enrolled in the IDP program with 15% of the ARE completed” will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment